Just like for us humans, sometimes it can feel scary when a loved one has to undergo surgery and anesthesia — and it’s understandable that you might worry about your furry family member.
But it’s important to know that we care deeply about your pet’s safety and wellbeing. And, we use many different measures to keep your pet safe and comfortable.
Here at Lakeside Animal Hospital, we offer a variety of surgical services, ranging from routine spays and neuters, to special procedures such as abdominal surgeries, mass removals, eye and ear surgeries, and many more.
Here’s what you can expect from us…
For all procedures requiring anesthesia or sedation, we’ll monitor your pet’s:
- Breathing rate
- Gum color
- Oxygen levels
- Hydration status
For many procedures, we’ll also monitor blood pressure, EKG, and more, to ensure your pet stays safe.
- Prior to surgery, recommend bloodwork or other tests as needed to ensure your pet is healthy prior to anesthesia.
- On the day of surgery, place an IV catheter (which helps us deliver fluids, to maintain a healthy blood pressure).
- Use a well-balanced anesthesia protocol (this means, we create a plan that balances different medications for pain, relaxation, and anesthesia; this reduces the risk of side effects from any particular anesthetic drug, and it can be adjusted for your individual pet’s needs).
- Keep your pet warm the whole time.
- After the surgery, we continue monitoring your pet until they’re fully awake and ready to go home.
Rest assured, you’ll have a well-qualified team looking after your buddy — and, they’ll benefit from our modern technology, clean facility and sterile surgery suite, and dedicated safety measures.
Pain control is very important, and at Lakeside Animal Hospital we believe in keeping your furry family member as comfortable as possible before, during, and after their procedure.
This means that sometimes you’ll need to continue pain medications for a few days at home, too. But don’t worry, we’ll show you the easiest ways to give any medications.
We’ll give you instructions on exactly how to care for your pal after their procedure — so you know exactly what to expect, what to avoid, and what signs to watch out for.
With our instructions, you’ll feel prepared and confident to care for your pet — but, you’re also welcome to call us anytime with questions!
So, while surgery and anesthesia might sound scary — we work hard to ensure your furry best friend is as safe and comfortable as possible the whole time!
And while all medical procedures carry some degree of risk — complications are rare for healthy dogs and cats, and most pets do very well with their anesthesia and surgery.
If you have any questions for us, or want to schedule a consult with a veterinarian, give us a call at 813-920-5100.
Or, to schedule a consult, you can also request an appointment time online.